What are the visa requirements for Indian students to study in the UK?

Tier 4 of the points-based system has two student categories:

  • Tier 4 (General) Student Visa – This visa classification is for students studying in the United Kingdom. The candidate must be 16 years old or older.
  • Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa – This visa category is for children aged 4 to 15 travelling to the UK to study. Children between the ages of 4 and 15 can only attend independent fee-paying schools.

If you are enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program or higher at a UK institution that is mentioned on both the authorised ‘UKBA Sponsor list’ and the list of ‘recognised bodies,’ you may work up to 20 hours per week for (Tier 4 General) and perform a full-time job during holidays or summer breaks.

Visa Charges

The Tier 4 General Visa costs £348. (Approx. Rs 33,349). The payment methods are shown below.

  • Online with a MasterCard or Visa credit card.
  • Demand draughts are accepted at the visa application centre and specific Standard Chartered Bank locations.
  • Cash is accepted at the visa application centre and select Standard Chartered Bank locations.
  • Documents Required for a Study Visa in the United Kingdom

UK Student Visa Requirements: 

Applying for a student visa requires you to bring more documentation than applying for a tourist visa. Aspirants must provide the required documentation and supporting financial and academic records. Before heading to the consulate for the visa interview, be sure you review the UK Student Visa checklist.

Before applying, you must have the following documents:

  • A filled-out student visa application form
  • Proof of finances – The money you need to show covers your course fees for your first year of study as well as your living expenses for up to nine months. The amount you will require is determined by whether you are applying as a child or an adult, as well as whether you will be studying in or outside of London. You must demonstrate that you have had the funds for at least 28 days. The end date of those 28 days cannot be more than one month before the date of your application.
  • Acceptance letter for the course – Your authorised education provider will issue you with an acceptance letter (CAS) and a visa letter, both of which are formal and unconditional offers of a place on a programme of study. The visa letter must be issued within six months of your application. Applications with visa letters that are more than six months old will be denied.

Having a visa letter does not ensure that your application will be approved. The applicant must fulfil all of the category’s requirements and any additional immigration laws.

You must establish that you have enough money to cover your basic living expenses (not including fees) for a period of up to nine months, i.e. £12,006 for nine months if you live in London and £9,207 for nine months if you live elsewhere.

You also need the following documents to provide valid proof of your financial soundness –

  • The receipt for payment of visa costs
  • Payslips
  • Provisional certificates/original mark sheets
News Reporter